Monday 2 October 2017

Movie Poster Progress

So! For my movie poster for San Junipero, through feedback from my classmates and lecturer I decided that the following sketch was the best (showed the characters, settings and themes of the movie well):



Now it was time to put the work in in Illustrator to make it great.

I definitely wanted to use cyan and magenta as 2 of my 3 colours as they are used in the neon sign in the movie and show the party vibe well.

I started putting together the sign as a VERY rough sketch in Photoshop:


But then I remembered that white inside & coloured outside looks more like neon:


I was very happy with that sketch. Then I realised that I needed to figure out a minimalist (no transparency, gradients) way to make the glass and bottle look see-through and reflective.

I took to paper with paint to sketch many ways to do glass and to try to decide on a dark background colour:














I liked the bottom left and the top right hand drinks the most so I moved into Illustrator.

I downloaded a few free fonts from http://dafont.com/ and tried to find a cursive one that mimicked the look of neon.

My favourite was the middle right.

I also found ways to draw reflections on the glass:


When I was almost finished it looked like this:


But the background was kind of too light & clashed with the cyan and magenta... As well as kind of ugly in general. The reflections on the table were also kind of weird.

A few adjustments and I knew I had my final product:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Presentation Day

We had our final portfolio presentations for the class! Here are some shots from the display:   In the end, quite an enjoya...